Whenever I bake my main aim is to make something that tastes like anything but the cardboard I grew up on (mini life story: I have been allergic to diary and some soy since I was tiny)... that just happens to also be vegan. My hope is that I never have to preempt something with 'oh, it's vegan', like some sort of excuse, for a lack of flavour or strange texture. And instead can serve delicious baked goods that also just happen to be vegan.
This, needless to say, is a recipe for a sticky toffee pudding and accompanying caramel sauce. It's super yummy warmed up and served with ice cream. It happens to be vegan.
I wanted to post the whole recipe on Insta but turns out it’s too long. So I’m just going to post part of the recipe on the gram and the full recipe here on my blog.
I can't wait for you guys to try make it. I hope you love it!
Sticky toffee pudding & caramel sauce
2 flax 'eggs' (2 tbsp ground flax seeds soaked in 6 tbsp water for 15 minutes)
150g pitted dates (soaked in 1 cup boiling water for 15 minutes- SAVE THE WATER)
2 heaped tbsp treacle
60g coconut oil (melted)
200g plain flour (a gluten free flour blend does work)
65g brown sugar
1 tsp bicarb
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a square baking tin with grease proof paper.
2. In a blender or food processor blend the flax eggs, dates, date water, treacle and conceit oil until smooth.
3. Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, bicarb, baking powder and cinnamon.
4. Pour the date mixture into the large mixing bowl, gently stirring to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for approximately 25minutes.
6. Leave to cool before slicing.
1 x can full fat coconut milk
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
1. In a medium saucepan add the sugar, honey and water. Bring to a high heat until starts to bubble.
2. Allow to bubble for 3-5 minutes until you notice the bubbles turning a darker brown.
3. Add the coconut milk and gently stir through.
4. Lower the heat slightly and stir gently through every few minutes or so.
5. After 15-20 minutes the mix with have thickened. Remove from the heat and it will thicken some more as it cool.
6. Serve poured over a slice of warm sticky toffee pudding with some ice cream.